Editor Production

Summary

I was extremely involved in the production process. First of all, as one of the lead actors, I was in the majority of the shots we took so I was acting a lot. Also, our group was extremely open to changes and I was a part of the discussions we had on the best way to make our film.

Collating Rushes from the Filming

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 9.56.13 AM

I stored all of our footage in folders. I made a different folder for everyday of filming.

Contribution to the Shooting

Screen Shot 2016-03-30 at 9.58.20 AMScreen Shot 2016-03-30 at 9.58.40 AM

One Contribution I made was changing the direction we shot this scene from. I suggested that we changed it so then we could have the scene where the detective, John, is seen in the background. This change also made the transition to the next shot smoother and less disorienting.

Challenges Faced During Shooting

One problem that we faced is that after a day of filming outside we realized, when I uploaded the videos to my computer, that the audio was affected by external noise. This noise masked our dialogue and had a constant white noise that we did not want in our film. At first we tried to fix this problem by using a dead cat but that did not work. I suggested that we did not attach a mic to the camera so we had a weaker mic and just film closer to the actors. This worked to moderate affects and this combined with us filming on a day with less noise made our audio usable.

Assistance Given to The Production Team

I helped production in multiple ways. First I acted in our film. Another way I helped was I helped our cinematographer set up shots. I offered second opinions about different ways to shoot scenes. My ideas were especially prominent in the scenes surrounding the fight scene and the ending scenes.

What I Learned

I learned that during production our team was most productive when we knew exactly what part of our film we wanted to shoot in that day. Knowing what we wanted to accomplish that day made us get to work. For example on day one we were not sure exactly what we wanted to film so not much was accomplished. In contrast, on day two we knew we wanted to film the fight scene and because our work was focused we were able to film the fight scene and start on other scenes.