Editor Post-production

Summary

During post-production I put or footage in order and then edited it. I also collaborated with the sound designer to improve our audio.

Discussions with Director

One discussion I had with our director was a discussion about color correction. We worked together to fix multiple clips’ color. Initially we had a huge problem because multiple clips had inconsistent color. I fixed this problem by using the color correction tools to make the color consistent.

Test Edits

The first major edit I made was to correct the length of our film. I had to work with the screenwriter to cut certain parts from the plot to make our film go from being 7 minutes and 6 seconds to under 5 minutes. We ended up cutting out a part about John’s background and shoulder injury.

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 9.00.58 AM Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 9.05.22 AM

Another part I edited was 25 sections into our film. The actor who Kris messed up her line and we forgot to re-shoot it. To fix this I split her clip, deleted the middle part that was wrong, and to cover this mistake I inserted a reaction shot of Marten. I was able to make it sound like she stuttered and now the audio makes sense and works with our plot.

Contributions with The Director

The majority of the discussion I had with the director was about color correction. We worked together to blend colors and make different shots have the same color.

Editing Software Screenshots

Color correction:

Screen Shot 2016-03-31 at 9.12.52 AMScreen Shot 2016-03-31 at 9.13.33 AM

We used the Pudovkin editing technique of cutting back and forth between to scenes to suggest the simultaneity of these two actions. We did this during our phone call between Kris and Chuck. I cut back and forth between these two actor to show reaction shots and give the impression that both these actions are occurring at the same time.

One transition that I used was a fade to black to show the time gap between two scenes. I made the fade as slow as I could to emphasis this time change.

One audio transition I used was a fade in of the music near the end of the film.

One special effect we used was a punch sound. I lined up this punch sound to occur at the same time as the visual of the punch.

One visual transition I used was a strait cut during the fight scene. This gave the feeling of disorienting because we changed the camera angle. Another thing I did was after the fight scene I cut to an empty parking lot with nothing interesting in it. Then when Chuck ran into this scene we would all be focused on him because we already had time to take in the surroundings.

How I Could Have Improved The Film

I could of improved the color more. I was able to correct some clip’s colors but not all of them.

What I Learned and Problems I Solved

I learned that to be a good editor it takes time. You have to give yourself a time to to a good job. One problem I solved was I changed the plot of our story so our film would be under five minutes.